Thursday, May 3, 2012

Zakka Style Sew Along Week #5: the pencil case (that isn't)



This week's assignment is a cute little pencil case. It's adorable.

I have a philosophical struggle with cute little things. I admire them for their cute littleness but in a house filled to the brim with the dailiness of life for five, I can develop inappropriate levels of anger for inanimate objects that don't serve enough purpose. So a cute little pencil case? Just...no. But widen it by an inch? Mama has a much-needed sunglasses case.

I should have widened it by an inch-and-a-half, but I'm pretty happy with it.


The eyeball patch makes me super happy. Did you know that Ikea sells fabric? I recently bought a panel of this:

VĂ„NNERNA TITTA Fabric IKEA Pattern with wide eyes.
and since I only used a tiny scrap, I am fairly certain I need to make myself an eyeball skirt soon, don't you think?







While the original pattern made a case so narrow that it only held a few pencils, with a little widening like this I can imagine making this project again.

Fabric details:
Eyeball is from Ikea's Vannerna Titta print.
Lining is Seedpod in Stream from Kate Spain's Terrain line.
Scraps are Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelet in Aqua Blue; Novelty Fan in Reflection from Kate Spain's Good Fortune; and Sweater Check in Aqua from Aneela Hooey's Little Apples.

Sunglasses are from Ann Taylor Loft two years ago and I love them so.
_________________________
Flattr this