Sunday, August 12, 2012

July blocks

July was a rhapsody in blue. First, I finished my blocks for the Sunday Morning Quilts slab swap:



These are so fun to make. I think mine are among the more wild of the group, but that's probably indicative of my style. I'm drawn to the bolder fabrics, for sure.

Then, remember I said I joined that group to provide different sewing practice? Okay, I love making those, but it is not a challenging experience in terms of sewing. It might be challenging for arrangement and fabric selection, but in the realm of sewing skills I'd say I do far better with those than the sewing itself. So this bee, while fun, wasn't providing me the panic and panic-induced learning I was seeking.

So: I joined another bee. If you following the modern sewing movement through blogs and flickr you've certainly heard of Do. Good Stitches. It's a hub of sewing bees that create quilts for donation to different causes such as women's shelters, cancer wards, and other places where a little nurturing warmth might provide some physical and emotional improvement to a person's situation. I just joined the newest circle, the Cheer Circle, and each month the quilt block I make will be joined with the blocks from the other women in the Cheer Circle to create a quilt for Project Linus. Project Linus gives quilts to critically ill children. If you're alone in a hospital at night, wouldn't you feel a little better tucked in to a quilt made just for you instead of something hospital-issue?

There are two tiers of responsibility in the Do. Good Stitches bees. Stitchers just make blocks and mail them to the month's designated quilter. Quilters take turns selecting the monthly block pattern, collecting the blocks and assembling them into a quilt. I'm not crazy- I just signed up to be a stitcher.  So Claire of Sewing Over Pins selected the block pattern for the month, and she'll be quilting up all our blocks into a quilt to donate to the Project Linus chapter in her hometown of Austin.

This month's block was an X Marks the Spot, and Claire asked us to use patterned blues with solid white. This is what I came up with:


I'm almost in love with it, except for that lightest blue, which reads too white and distorts the recognizability of the pattern.




Still, a good effort...and once it's surrounded by a dozen or so other blocks, I think it will be less noticable. That, my friends, is panic-induced learning at its finest: consider the value of your prints against your solids.

Next month:

--slab blocks in green! I've already pulled my fabrics
--and for Do. Good Stitches, a 16-patch sawtooth star for Tamiko from Patchwork Notes, who's asking for gray, hot pink, mustard and navy.





_________________________
 Flattr this